Richard Mark Gergel
|Richard Mark Gergel|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of South Carolina|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||08/9/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Henry Herlong|
|Undergraduate:||Duke U., B.A., 1975|
|Law School:||Duke U., J.D., 1979|
Richard Mark Gergel (b. August 15, 1954) is a judge on the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. He was nominated by President Barack Obama on December 22, 2009 and confirmed to the court by the Senate on August 5, 2010.
Early life and education
Gergal was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1980. He joined the firm Medlock and Davis after graduation, and the firm Gergel, Nickles and Solomon, P.A in 1983. He became a partner and stayed at this firm until joining the court in 2010.
District of South Carolina
|Candidate:||Richard Mark Gergel|
|Court:||District of South Carolina|
|Progress:||Confirmed 226 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||December 22, 2009|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||April 16, 2010|
|Reported:||May 6, 2010|
|Confirmed:||August 5, 2010|
|Vote: Voice vote|
Gergel was nominated for a seat on the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina by President Obama on December 22, 2009. The President said he would be an "esteemed addition to the federal bench for the people of South Carolina".
Judiciary Committee hearing
South Carolina immigration law (2011)
Awards and associations
- 1998-2000: South Carolina Jewish Historical Society
- 1998-2000: President, South Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society
- 1978-1979: Member, Editorial Board, Duke Law Journal
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- News: Conservation groups fight deepening of Savannah River shipping channel, June 20, 2012
- Biography on the Federal Judicial Center
- CBS News "Federal judge halts key parts of SC immigrant law," December 22, 2011
- Gergal Profile from Gergel, Nickles & Solomon, P.A.
- Attorney Profiles from Gergel, Nickles & Solomon, P.A.
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Judge J. Michelle Childs, Richard Mark Gergel to District Court Bench for the District of South Carolina," December 22, 2009
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- Senate Judiciary Committee Meeting Notice, April 16, 2010
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Judicial Nomination Materials: 111th Congress
- Reuters, "Judge blocks parts of South Carolina immigration law," December 22, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of South Carolina
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|