|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||1/4/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Maxine Chesney|
|Past post:||Federal magistrate judge|
|Past term:||2001 - 2009|
|Undergraduate:||Yale College, B.A., 1978|
|Law School:||Columbia U. School of Law, J.D., 1981|
Richard Gus Seeborg is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. He was nominated by President Obama.
Early life and education
- 1998-2001: Private Practice, Palo Alto, California
- 1991-1998: Assistant U.S. Attorney, Northern District of California
- 1982-1991: Private Practice, San Francisco, California
- 1981-1982: Law clerk, Hon. John Pratt, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
Seeborg served as a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California from 2001 to 2009.
Northern District of California
|Court:||Northern District of California|
|Progress:||Confirmed 140 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||August 6, 2009|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||September 23, 2009|
|Reported:||October 15, 2009|
|Confirmed:||December 24, 2009|
|Vote: Voice vote|
Seeborg was nominated by President Obama for an Article III judgeship on the United States District Court for the Northern District of California for the seat vacated by Maxine Chesney. The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved his nomination on October 15, 2009. Seeborg was confirmed by the full Senate on December 24, 2009.
Judiciary Committee hearing
Seeborg had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 23, 2009. The Committee voted to forward his nomination to the full Senate on October 15, 2009, and his nomination was confirmed on December 24, 2009.
Facebook privacy (2010)United States District Court for the Northern District of California (Lane vs. Facebook INC, No. C 08-3845 RS)
Judge Seeborg presided in a case over privacy issues involving the widely-used social networking site Facebook. A lawsuit was filed in 2007 over a application called Beacon that kept track of a person's purchasing habits and web browsing activity. As part of the settlement, Facebook agreed to start a non-profit organization to advocate web privacy instead of splitting the money between 1.3 million plantiffs.
- Judge Seeborg's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- List of judges of the Northern District of California
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Edward Milton Chen, Dolly Gee and Richard Seeborg to Serve on the District Court Bench," August 7, 2009
- Los Angeles Times "Obama names four new federal judges for California" August 9, 2009
- FJC, "Seeborg, Richard G.," accessed December 10, 2013
- San Francisco Chronicle "Confirmation votes set for judge nominees," October 17, 2009
- Barbara Boxer Press Release "Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Los Angeles Attorney Dolly Gee for U.S. District Court," October 15, 2009
- Metropolitan News-Enterprise "Senate Committee Approves Nominees for Federal Courts," October 16, 2009
- Seeborg Biography at the Federal Judicial Center.
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- BusinessWeek "Facebook wins approval to create privacy group," March 17, 2010
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of California
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|