Robert S. Smith
|Robert S. Smith|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|State of New York Court of Appeals|
|Appointed by:||Gov. George E. Pataki|
|Past post:||Private practice attorney|
|Undergraduate:||Stanford University, 1965|
|Law School:||Columbia Law School, 1968|
Robert S. Smith is a judge of the State of New York Court of Appeals, New York's court of last resort. He was appointed to this position on November 4, 2003 by Governor George E. Pataki. The appointment was confirmed by the State Senate on January 12, 2004.  He must retire in 2014, due to the mandatory retirement age. 
Smith received his B.A. degree from Stanford University in 1965, and his LL.B. from Columbia Law School in 1968.
Smith practiced law with the New York City firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison from 1968 until 2003. He took a break for a year from 1980 to 1981 to work as Visiting Professor from Practice at Columbia Law School. After returning to his law practice, he continued to lecture at Columbia until 1990. He joined the firm of Kornstein Veisz Wexler & Pollard on June 1, 2003 as an individual practitioner and Special Counsel. He was then appointed to the Court of Appeals in 2003. He has also taught a course at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law since 2006.
- State of New York Court of Appeals, Hon. Robert S. Smith
- Project Vote Smart, Judge Robert S. Smith (NY)
- Law.com, "N.Y. High Court Judge Takes Colleagues to Task Over Constitutional Issue in Gun Case", March 5, 2010
- NorthJersey.com, "Court ruling sends Atlantic Yards project forward", November 24, 2009
- Usa Today, "Same-sex marriages fails at N.Y. court", July 7, 2006
|Former||Carmen Beauchamp Ciparick • Judith Kaye • Theodore Jones • Richard Wesley • Rufus Wheeler Peckham •|