Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of South Dakota|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||10/21/2009 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Charles Kornmann|
|Home State:||Pamplona, Spain|
|Bachelors:||U. of South Dakota, B.A., 1985|
|Law School:||Northwestern U. School of Law, J.D., 1988|
Roberto Antonio Lange is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota. He was nominated by President Obama.
Early life and education
Lange began his legal career as a law clerk to former chief judge of the District of South Dakota, Donald Porter from 1988 to 1989. In 1989, Lange entered into private practice with the Sioux Falls based law firm of Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP.  Lange became a partner iof the firm in 1993. During his twenty years with the firm, Lange specialized in complex commercial litigation, product liability, major personal injury, class action, and ERISA cases. Lange has also handled business disputes for small and large scale clients at the state and national levels.
Lange has represented clients in arbitration and in a variety of courts such as the District of South Dakota, District of Minnesota, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, United States Court of Federal Claims, and the Supreme Court of the United States. Lange argued in the 2005 case of Rhines v. Weber which was argued in front of the Supreme Court of the United States. 
District of South Dakota
Judiciary Committee hearing
Lange appeared in a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 9, 2009.  where he was approved. After questioning, Ranking Republican Committee Member Senator Jeff Sessions praised his qualifications. The full Senate voted to approve Lange's confirmation 100 - 0 on October 21, 2009. 
- Judge Lange's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- Official press release from Senator Tim Johsnon recommending Lange's nomination
- Official statement from the White House announcing Lange's nomination
- Official biography of Roberto Lange
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "The White House" President Obama nominates Irene Berger and Roberto Lange to serve on the Federal District Court Bench, July 8, 2009
- ↑ Judge Lange's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP" Biography of Roberto Lange, July 8, 2009
- ↑ Tim Johnson Press Release "Senator Johnson recommends Roberto Lange", February 20, 2009
- ↑ Tim Johnson Press Release "Johnson Takes to Senate Floor to Urge Confirmation of Lange Nomination", October 21, 2009
- ↑ "Berger, federal bench nominee, appears at Judiciary hearing" Charleston Gazette, September 9, 2009
- ↑ Associated Press "Lange Gets Senate Confirmation As Federal Judge", October 21, 2009
- ↑ Vote Summary: Confirmation Roberto A. Lange
- ↑ "American Bar Association" Ratings of Article III Judicial Nominees of the 111th Congress, July 6, 2009
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of South Dakota
|Magistrate judges||William D. Gerdes • Veronica Duffy • Mark Moreno • John Simko •|
|Former Article III judges|
|Former Chief judges|