Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|6th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Jennifer Granholm|
|Preceded by:||Gene Schnelz|
|Past post:||Associate attorney, Weiner & Cox P.L.C.|
|Undergraduate:||University of Michigan, 1993|
|Law School:||University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law, 1996|
|Candidate for:||6th Circuit Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Shalina Kumar is a judge for the 6th Circuit Court in Oakland County, Michigan. She was appointed to this position on August 20, 2007 by former Governor Jennifer Granholm to replace retired Judge Gene Schnelz. She was re-elected in 2008 to another six-year term that ends on January 1, 2015. She was re-elected to the 6th Circuit Court in 2014.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2014
| Kumar ran for re-election to the 6th Circuit Court.
General: She was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Kumar began a private law practice in 1997, specializing in medical malpractice, wrongful death, and complex litigation trials until her judicial appointment in 2007. She worked as an associate attorney for the law firms of Sommers, Schwartz, Silver & Schwartz P.C. and Weiner & Cox P.L.C..
Kumar sentences two men to life in prison
Judge Shalina Kumar sentenced two young men, Tucker Cipriano, 21, and Mitchell Young, 20, to mandatory life in prison for the murder of Cipriano's father, Robert Cipriano. On April 16, 2012, both men entered the Cipriano home in search of money for drugs and, armed with aluminum baseball bats, attacked Robert Cipriano, his wife Rose, and his son Salvatore. Robert died during the attack and both Rose and Salvatore were severely injured. Two other children in the home escaped injury by hiding in the upstairs bedrooms. During the trial, Young and Cipriano accused each other of masterminding the plan. Young denied the crime, maintaining his innocence. Tucker Cipriano, who was adopted, asked for forgiveness and tearfully apologized to his siblings and the rest of the Cipriano family. Judge Kumar, while acknowledging Cipriano's abandonment by his birth mother, mental issues, and drug dependency, addressed him directly, stating: "Others fight through...[w]ith all the support you had, and all the love you had, you threw it away."
Kumar's decision reversed on legislative recall
Although Judge Shalina Kumar determined that ballot langugage to recall Representative Marie Donigan, D-Royal Oak, from office was unclear, a three-judge panel at the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled in May 2008 that the language is clear enough to go before voters in November 2008. According to Crain's Detroit Business, "Donigan and House Speaker Andy Dillon, D-Redford Township, are among several legislators targeted for recall because they voted to increase the state income tax and a services tax or both in 2007 to help the state balance its budget."
- List of Michigan Circuit Courts
- Courts in Michigan
- Judicial selection in Michigan
- Oakland County, Michigan
- Michigan Courts, "Trial Court Directory: Oakland County"
- Detroit Free Press, "2 Oakland County judges took days off for conference, but didn't go," October 16, 2013
- Michigan.gov: Former Governors, "Granholm Appoints Shalina Kumar Judge of 6th Circuit Court," August 20, 2007
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2008 Election Results: 6th Circuit"
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed July 9, 2014
- Oakland County, "Hon. Shalina Kumar"
- M Live.com, "Tucker Cipriano, Mitchell Young to spend life in prison for Farmington Hills baseball bat attack," July 25, 2013
- Detroit Free Press, "Tucker Cipriano gets emotional; Mitchell Young makes defiant speech at sentencing," July 24, 2013
- Crain's Detroit Business, "Recall drive wins round in court," May 19, 2008