Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit|
|Appointed by:||George H.W. Bush|
|Active:||11/11/1989 - 11/30/2000|
|Senior:||11/30/2000 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Shiro Kashiwa|
|Succeeded by:||Sharon Prost|
|Past post:||Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, U.S. Office of Management and Budget|
|Past term:||1988 - 1989|
|Undergraduate:||University of North Carolina, 1952|
|Law School:||University Florida Law, 1958|
|Grad. School:||Columbia Law, 1961|
|Military service:||U.S. Navy, 1948 - 1970|
Sheldon Jay Plager is a federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He joined the court in 1989 after being nominated by President George H.W. Bush. Plager took senior status on November 30, 2000.
Plager graduated from North Caorlina with his bachelor's degree in 1952 and also graduated from Florida Law with his J.D. in 1958. Plager graduated from Columbia Law with his Master of Laws degree in 1961.
Plager also served in the U.S. Navy in active duty and in the reserves from 1948 to 1970.
- 1988-1989: Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs for the U.S. Office of Management and Budget
- 1987-1988: Associate Director, U.S. Office of Management and Budget
- 1986-1987: Undersecretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- 1984-1985: Visiting Scholar, Stanford Law
- 1977-1984: Dean, Indiana University School of Law
- 1967-1968: Visiting Professor, Wisconsin Law School
- 1963-1977: Law Professor, University of Illinois
- 1958-1963: Law Professor, University of Florida
Plager was nominated by President George H.W. Bush on September 12, 1989, to a seat vacated by Judge Shiro Kashiwa as Kashiwa assumed senior status. Plager was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on November 8, 1989, on unanimous consent of the Senate and received commission on November 11, 1989 Plager assumed senior status on November 30, 2000.
|Federal judicial offices|
|Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit
|Former judges||Paul Michel • Randall Rader • Arthur Gajarsa • Daniel Friedman • Glenn Archer • James Almond • Jean Bissell • Phillip Baldwin • Marion Bennett • Arnold Cowen • Oscar Davis • Shiro Kashiwa • Don Laramore • Howard Markey • Jack Miller • Philip Nichols • Helen Nies • Giles Rich • Byron Skelton • Edward Smith • Edward Samuel Smith •|
|Former Chief judges|