Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||3/14/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Jeanne Scott|
|Born:||October 22, 1951|
|Undergraduate:||Southern Illinois U., B.A., 1973|
|Law School:||Southern Illinois U. School of Law, J.D., 1980|
Sue E. Myerscough is a judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois. She was nominated to the court by President Barack Obama in February 2010. Prior to this post, she was an appellate judge on the Illinois Fourth District Appellate Court, a position she was elected to in 1998.
Early life and education
Judge Myerscough began her career as a law clerk for U.S. District Judge Harold A. Baker. She worked as a private practice lawyer until 1987, when she was appointed associate judge of the 7th Judicial Circuit Court. Myerscough became a Circuit Judge in 1990 and the Chief Judge of this court in 1994. She then joined the Appellate Court in 1998.
Central District of Illinois
|Court:||Central District of Illinois|
|Progress:||Confirmed 263 days after nomination.|
In February 2010, Senator Dick Durbin recommended Myerscough to President Obama for a seat on the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois. On June 17, 2010, Obama nominated Myerscough to fill the seat vacated by Joe McDade.
Myerscough was unanimously rated "Qualified" by the American Bar Association. Myerscough's hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was on September 15, 2010, and you can find her hearing transcript here. She was moved out of committee on a voice vote on December 1, 2010.
Myerscough's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Myerscough was confirmed to her position by the U.S. Senate on March 7, 2011, by an 89-0 vote.
- Official biography of Judge Myerscough (dead link)
- Judge Myerscough's biography at the Federal Judicial Center
- The State Journal Register "Myerscough, three others recommended for federal judgeships," February 26, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," June 17, 2010
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing," September 15, 2010
- Results of Executive Business Meeting, December 1, 2010
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "111th Congress Nomination Materials," accessed April 23, 2014
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "112th Congress confirmation materials," accessed April 23, 2014
|Federal judicial offices|
|Central District of Illinois
|Magistrate judges||David Bernthal • Thomas Schanzle-Haskins • Jonathan E. Hawley •|
|Former Article III judges|
|Former Chief judges|
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|