Susan L. Carney
|Susan L. Carney|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Barrington Parker|
|Undergraduate:||Harvard University, 1973|
|Law School:||Harvard Law School, 1977|
Susan L. Carney is a federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She joined the court in 2011 after begin nominated by President Barack Obama. Prior to nomination, she was the Deputy General Counsel for Yale University.
Early life and education
Carney was born and raised in Massachusetts. She went to public schools in Lexington and Weston, MA. Carney attended Harvard College and graduated with an A.B. (cum laude) in 1973. Carney received a J.D. (magna cum laude) from Harvard Law School in 1977.
- Deputy General Counsel of Yale University, 2001 - 2011
- General Counsel Office, Yale, 1998 - 2001
- Associate General Counsel of the Peace Corps, 1996 - 1998
- Of Counsel to the D.C. labor law firm of Bredhoff & Kaiser
- Founding partner of the Washington, D.C. office of the Los Angeles-based firm Tuttle & Taylor, 1986
- Private practice with Rogovin, Huge & Lenzner in Washington, D.C., both as an associate and as partner, 1979 - 1986
- Law Clerk to Judge Levin Hicks Campbell on the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
|Candidate:||Susan L. Carney|
|Progress:||Confirmed 362 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||May 20, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Qualified, Minority Not Qualified|
|Hearing:||September 15, 2010|
|Hearing Transcript:||Hearing Transcript|
|Reported:||February 17, 2011 December 1, 2010|
|Confirmed:||May 17, 2011|
Carney was nominated by President Obama on May 20, 2010 to fill a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit vacated by Barrington Parker. Obama said of the nomination, "At every step of her career, Susan Carney has performed with excellence and unwavering integrity. I am confident she will serve the people of Connecticut with distinction on the Circuit Court bench."
The American Bar Association gave Carney a rating of "Qualified" from the substantial majority and "Not Qualified" from the minority. She had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 15, 2010 and you can find her Hearing Transcript Here.
Carney's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Carney's nomination was confirmed on May 17, 2011 with a vote of 71-28.
Awards and associations
- Member of the Connecticut Bar
- Member of the District of Columbia Bar
- Member of the Massachusetts Bar
- Serves on the board of directors of the National Association of College & University Attorneys
- Official FJC Bio of Judge Carney
- Main Justice, "Carney Confirmed as Leahy Cites Delays in Senate Process" 5/17/11
- Law.com, "Senators Question Experience of 2nd Circuit Nominee," September 16, 2010
- Carney Profile from Yale University
- Susan Carney biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- Associated Press "Obama nominates Yale's Carney to federal court," May 20, 2010
- White House Press Release "President Obama Names Susan L. Carney to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit," May 20, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," May 20, 2010
- 112th Congress Nomination Materials
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- 112th Congress Confirmation materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|
This page is missing notable case information.