|Current Court Information:|
|Kentucky Circuit Court 14|
|Title:||Former family court judge|
|Appointed by:||Elected, following initial appointment by Gov. Ernie Fletcher|
|Succeeded by:||Lisa Hart Morgan|
|Past post:||Director, Kentucky Volunteer Lawyer Program|
|Undergraduate:||Boston College, 1985|
|Law School:||University of Kentucky, 1988|
|Candidate for:||Kentucky Circuit Court 14|
|Election information 2014:|
Tamra Gormley was a family court judge on the Bourbon, Scott and Woodford Counties Family Court of the 14th Judicial Circuit, which presides over Bourbon, Scott, and Woodford counties in Kentucky. She was appointed to the court by former Governor Ernie Fletcher on May 2, 2007, to fill the seat until it could be filled by election. She was then elected to the position the following November.
- See also: Kentucky judicial elections, 2014
| Gormley ran for re-election to the 14th Judicial Circuit.
Primary: She was successful in the primary on May 20, 2014, receiving 41.6% of the vote. She competed against Dorothy Jo Mastin and Lisa Hart Morgan.
General: She was defeated in the general election on November 4, 2014, after receiving 43.0% of the vote. She competed against Lisa Hart Morgan.
- 2007-2015: Judge, 14th Judicial Circuit
- 2006-2007: Director, Kentucky Volunteer Lawyers Program
- 2004-2007: Director, Child Abuse and Domestic Violence Services, Office of the Governor and Cabinet for Health and Family Services
- 1999-2007: Attorney in private practice
- 1996-1999: Assistant attorney general
- 1989-1996: Assistant commonwealth's attorney, Fayette Commonwealth
Awards and associations
- 2009: Keeping Children Safe Spirit Award, Department for Community Based Services of the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
- 2000: Guardian Angel Award for Outstanding Service and Devotion to Innocent Victims of Crimes, Kentuckians’ Voice for Crime Victims
- 1999: Outstanding Service in the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse in Kentucky, Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Prevention Board
- 1996: 3 Who Made A Difference in 1996, ACE Magazine
- 1988-1996: Outstanding Service as Assistant Commonwealth Attorney plaque of recognition, Fayette County
- 1994: Outstanding Victim Advocacy, Kentucky Victims' Coalition
- 1990: Outstanding Victim Advocacy, Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government
In the news
Suspension and reprimand (2011)
In January 2011, in an matter unrelated to the forty-five day suspension, Gormley agreed to serve a ten-day suspension without pay in relation to judicial misconduct charges stemming from a child custody case.
Judicial misconduct charges (2009)
Gormley was charged with three separate counts of judicial misconduct related to incidences in court. The first of the charges involved her treatment of a defendant in her courtroom. She was alleged to have demeaned and denied due process rights to a man in court on a domestic violence charge. The second complaint stated Gormley disregarded jurisdictional or venue requirements and pleading and notice requirements for a domestic violence and custody case, and the third involved crossing jurisdictional lines with an Indiana court.
Gormley responded that the details were inaccurate in all of the charges, saying, "[t]hese are complaints, and I'm confident that I conducted myself appropriately in each of these".
- Kentucky Court of Justice, "Family Court Overview"
- Judge Tamra Gormley campaign website
- Re-elect Judge Tamra Gorley Facebook page
- Kentucky Court of Justice, "Kentucky Circuit Court Judges," accessed May 22, 2014
- Governor Ernie Fletcher’s Communications Office, "Governor Fletcher Appoints Tamra Gormley as 14th Judicial Circuit Judge," May 2, 2007
- Lexington Leader-Herald, "Proceedings against family court judge begin," September 30, 2009
- Kentucky Secretary of State, "Election: 2014 Primary Election: Family Court Judge," accessed February 17, 2014
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Unofficial 2014 Primary Results," accessed May 21, 2014
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Official 2014 General Election Results," accessed December 18, 2014
- Information submitted on Judgepedia's biographical submission form on 10/4/2014
- Lexington Herald-Leader "State Supreme Court upholds Judge Gormley's suspension," January 26, 2011
- Kentucky.com, "Central Ky. family court judge faces misconduct charges" June 26, 2009
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Deliberations begin in judicial misconduct case," October 1, 2009
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Family court judge suspended for 45 days on misconduct charges," November 2, 2009
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Judge suspended for 45 days without pay," November 3, 2009