Thomas Howard DuVal
|Thomas Howard DuVal|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Western District of Texas|
|Appointed by:||Franklin Pierce|
|Active:||3/3/1857 - 10/10/1880|
|Preceded by:||11 Stat. 164|
|Succeeded by:||Ezekiel Turner|
|Bachelors:||St. Joseph's College (1833)|
|Law School:||Read Law (1837)|
Thomas Howard DuVal (1813-1880) was a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
He was nominated by President Franklin Pierce on February 26, 1857. He was confirmed by the Senate on March 3, 1857, and received commission that same day. He served until his death on October 10, 1880.  DuVal was succeeded in this position by Ezekiel Turner.
Early life and education
- St. Joseph`s College, 1833
- Read law, 1837
- Private practice, Tallahassee, Florida, 1837-1841
- Clerk, Court of Appeals, Leon County, Florida, 1841-1843
- U.S. Territorial Secretary, Territory of Florida, 1843-1846
- Reporter, Supreme Court of Texas, 1846
- Private practice, Austin, Texas, 1846-1855
- Secretary of state, State of Texas, 1851-
- Judge, Second Judicial District, State of Texas, 1855-1856
Western District of Texas
DuVal was nominated by President Franklin Pierce on February 26, 1857. He was confirmed by the Senate on March 3, 1857, and received commission that same day. He served until his death on October 10, 1880.  DuVal was succeeded in this position by Ezekiel Turner.
- Biography from The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Judge DuVal's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
|Federal judicial offices|
|Western District of Texas
Blackford • Campbell • Dunlop • DuVal • John James Gilchrist • Giles • Humphreys • Ingersoll • Love • Magrath • McAllister • McIntosh • Merrick • Ogier • Scarburgh • Smalley • Samuel Treat • Samuel Hubbel Treat • Willson