Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Illinois Supreme Court|
|Preceded by:||Thomas R. Fitzgerald|
|Past position:||Attorney, private practice|
|Undergraduate:||St. Mary's College, 1978|
|Law School:||Antioch School of Law, 1981|
- See also: Illinois judicial elections, 2010
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Kilbride received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -0.84, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of -0.31 that justices received in Illinois. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
Awards and associations
- Award of Excellence in the Judiciary, Illinois State Crime Commission, 2010
- Past board member, president and vice-president, Illinois Township Attorneys Association
- Charter member, Illinois Pro Bono Center
- Volunteer legal adviser, Community Caring Conference
- Volunteer legal adviser, Quad City Harvest, Inc.
- Journal Star, "Justice defends malpractice ruling," September 29, 2010
- bnd.com, "Illinois Supreme Court rules in Clinton County case: Minors caught drinking can lose license," June 24, 2010
- PeoriaStory, "School should teach civics, justice says," April 30, 2010
- pjstar.com, "Illinois Supreme Court justice gives students confidence in system," January 25, 2010
- The Madison/St. Clair Record, "Kilbride retention race was nation's costliest, report says," October 27, 2011
- Democratic Judicial Campaign Committee, "Illinois Supreme Court"
- Illinois States Courts, "Kilbride's Biography," accessed September 25, 2014
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "2010 General Election Results," accessed September 25, 2014
- Illinois State Bar Association, "Rita B. Garman elected as next Supreme Court Chief Justice," September 12, 2013
- Gavel Grab, "Embattled IL Justice to be Court's Chief," September 16, 2010
- Project Vote Smart, "Justice Thomas L. Kilbride," accessed September 25, 2014
- FOX Chicago News, "Supreme Court Election Results," archived January 4, 2014
- The Madison Record, "Kilbride retention race was nation's costliest, report says," October 27, 2011
- NPR, "No Opponent, But Big Money In Illinois Justice's Race," October 26, 2010 (dead link)
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
- The Daily Journal, "Kankakee County: Ill. Supreme Court Justice Thomas Kilbride to be honored," June 15, 2010
|Former||Mary Ann McMorrow • Thomas R. Fitzgerald •|