Thomas M. Durkin
|Thomas M. Durkin|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/17/2012 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Wayne Andersen|
|Undergraduate:||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 1975|
|Law School:||DePaul U. Law, J.D., 1978|
Thomas M. Durkin is a judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He joined the court in 2012 after an appointment from Barack Obama. At the time of his appointment, he was a partner at the law firm of Mayer Brown LLP.
Early life and education
- 1993-2012: Partner, Mayer Brown LLP
- 1980-1993: Assistant United States Attorney, Northern District of Illinois
- 1978-1980: Law Clerk, Honorable Stanley Roszkowski
Federal judicial nomination
|Candidate:||Thomas M. Durkin|
|Court:||Northern District of Illinois|
|Progress:||Confirmed 210 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Vote: Voice vote|
Durkin was nominated on May 21, 2012 by President Barack Obama to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois vacated by Wayne Andersen. Obama commented on the nomination, stating, “I am honored to put forward this highly qualified candidate for the federal bench. He will be a distinguished public servant and valuable addition to the United States District Court.”
Durkin was rated Unanimously Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. He had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on July 11, 2012 and you can find his Committee Questionnaire available here and his Questions for the Record available here.
On December 17, 2012, the United States Senate confirmed Thomas M. Durkin to an Article III post for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois with a voice vote.
- "Presidential Nomination Sent to the Senate" 5/21/2012
- "President Obama Nominates Thomas M. Durkin to Serve on the US District Court" 5/21/2012
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "112th Congress Nomination Materials," accessed April 25, 2014
- Report on the Activities of the Senate Judiciary Committee, 112th Congress
- United States Periodic Press Gallery
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of Illinois
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|