|Current Court Information:|
|Geauga County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio|
|Appointed by:||Gov. John Kasich|
|Preceded by:||Charles Henry|
|Past post:||Member, Ohio Senate|
|Past post 2:||Member, Ohio House of Representatives|
|Past term 2:||2000-2004|
|Born:||April 17, 1953|
|Undergraduate:||John Carroll University, 1975|
|Law School:||Case Western Reserve School of Law, 1978|
|Grad. School:||University of Virginia Law School, 1983|
|Military service:||U.S. Army|
|Candidate for:||Geauga County Court of Common Pleas|
|Election information 2012:|
Tim Grendell is a judge on the Geauga County Court of Common Pleas, Probate and Juvenile Division, serving Geauga County, Ohio. He was appointed to the court by Governor John Kasich in September 2011 to fill a vacancy created by the death of Judge Charles Henry. Grendell was then elected to the court in November 2012 to serve out the remainder of Henry's term which expires on February 8, 2015.
On June 3, 2013, Grendell was assigned by Judge Maureen O'Connor to assist with the Lake County Probate Court proceedings. He will be assisting retired judge, R.R. Denny Clunk, who is on a special three-month assignment to fill the vacancy on the court created by the death of former judge Ted Klammer. Sitting judges have been assigned to assist the Lake County Probate Court until a permanent judge is appointed by Governor John Kasich.
Appointment to court
The process during which Grendell was chosen as a new member of the court was controversial and full of in-party bickering. A widely circulated rumor was that Senate Republicans pressured Governor John Kasich to appoint Grendell, in order to get him out of the legislature, because of his opposition to parts of the Republican agenda.
This did not sit well with the chairman of the Geauga County GOP, Ed Ryder, who was also a nominee for the seat. The county Republican party created a list of nominees to forward to the governor, standard practice in Ohio, and did not include Grendell. This in turn did not sit well with Grendell.
Grendell received his undergraduate degree from John Carroll University in 1975, his J.D. from Case Western Reserve School of Law in 1978, and his LL.M. from the University of Virginia Law School in 1983.
Grendell served in the Judge Advocate General's Corps in the United States Army.
- 2011-2015: Judge, Geauga County Juvenile and Probate Court
- 2005-2011: Member, Ohio Senate
- 2000-2004: Member, Ohio House of Representatives
- 1999-2011: Attorney/Principal, Grendell and Simon Co., LLP
- 1993-1998: Attorney/Partner, Taft Stettinius and Hollister Grendel and Marrer Co., LLP
- 1991-1999: Attorney, Grendell and Targrove Company
- 1990-1993: Partner, Speith, Bell, McCurdy and Newell
- 1984-1990: Attorney/Partner, Zonco, Day, Reavis, Pogue
- 1978-1983: Captain, United States Army
- 1978: Admitted to the Ohio Bar
- Geauga County Court of Common Pleas: Juvenile Division, Website
- Geauga County Court of Common Pleas: Probate Division, Website
- The Supreme Court of Ohio & the Ohio Judicial System, Press Release: "Governor Appoints Grendell to Geauga Juvenile/Probate Court," September 9, 2011.
- Timothy Grendell's profile page on Ballotepedia
- The Supreme Court of Ohio & the Ohio Judicial System, Press Release: "Governor Appoints Grendell to Geauga Juvenile/Probate Court," September 9, 2011
- The News-Herald, "Geauga Judge Tim Grendell assigned to assist with Lake County Probate Court proceedings," June 3, 2013
- The Plain Dealer, "Gov. John Kasich picks Sen. Tim Grendell for judicial vacancy in Geauga County, ending contentious appointment process," September 9, 2011.
- VoteSmart.org, Legislative Profile: Timothy J. Grendell.
- Martindale.com, Judge Profile: Timothy J. Grendell.
- Ohio Secretary of State, Official Election Results 11/6/2012: Court of Common Pleas Judge
- Geauga County Board of Elections, 2012 General Election Candidates