United States District Court for the District of New York
The United States District Court for the District of New York no longer exists under that name. It was established in The Judiciary Act of 1789 as federal District Court with one judgeship, which was initially filled by James Duane. The District of New York, in turn, was assigned to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eastern Circuit.
Both courts, the district and the circuit, became defunct when the Judiciary Act of 1801 reorganized the federal courts into six circuits. At that time, the District of New York was assigned to the Second Circuit, where all New York federal district courts have since remained.
The State of New York now has four federal district courts: