United States District Court for the District of Norfolk
The United States District Court for the District of Norfolk was created by Congress as part of the Judiciary Act of 1801, which divided Virginia, formerly under a single District, into three districts: the District of Virginia, comprised of the counties west of the Tidewater and south of the Rappahannock River; the District of Norfolk, comprised of the Tidewater counties south of the Rappahannock; and the District of Potomac, comprised of the counties north and east of the Rappahannock as well as Maryland counties along the Potomac. This Act was repealed less than a year later, with a different president and a new majority in Congress, thereby reuniting Virginia under the District of Virginia. During the year from 1801-1802, both the District of Virginia and the District of Norfolk were presided over by Cyrus Griffin, who was formerly (and afterwards) the judge solely of the District of Virginia,. The District of Potomac was assigned to James Winchester, the judge of the District of Maryland during that year,.