United States District Court for the District of Virginia
The United States District Court for the District of Virginia was created by Congress as part of the Judiciary Act of 1789. 12 years later, as part of the Judiciary Act of 1801, Virginia was divided into three smaller districts, but one of them was still called the District of Virginia; the other two were the District of Norfolk and the District of Potomac. Virginia was reunited under the District of Virginia less than a year later, however, with the repeal of the Judiciary Act of 1801. Again, in 1819, Virginia was divided into Eastern and Western Districts with separate judgeships authorized for each. In 1864, that part of the Western District of Virginia lying within the new state of West Virginia was made into the District of West Virginia, and Virginia was again united into the District of Virginia. However, shortly thereafter, in 1871, Virginia was again divided into Eastern and Western Districts. That same division has remained to the present day.
Judges of the Court
- Cyrus Griffin (1789-1810)
- John Tyler (1811-1813)
- George Tucker (1813-1819)
- John Curtiss Underwood (1864-1871)