Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of Kansas|
|Appointed by:||John F. Kennedy|
|Active:||4/4/1962 - 9/1/1979|
|Chief:||1971 - 1977|
|Senior:||9/1/1979 - 1/24/2012|
|Preceded by:||Delmas Hill|
|Succeeded by:||Patrick Kelly|
|Law School:||Kansas City Law, LL.B., 1933|
|Military service:||U.S. Navy, 1944-1946|
Wesley Ernest Brown (b. 1907) is a former Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.
Brown was nominated to the federal bench in 1962 by President John F. Kennedy. He is one of 125 judges nominated to the federal bench by President Kennedy and as of September 2010, was one of four "Kennedy judges" still serving in the federal judiciary. He turned 104 on June 22, 2011. Brown credits his longevity to a lifetime of working.  He passed away on January 24, 2012 at the age of 104.
Early life and education
- Private practice, Hutchinson, Kansas, 1933-1944
- County attorney, Reno County, Kansas, 1935-1939
- Secretary of corporation and attorney, Aircraft Woodwork Manufacturers, 1942-1944
- U.S. Navy Lieutenant, 1944-1946
- Private practice, Hutchinson, Kansas, 1946-1958
- Referee in Bankruptcy, U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, 1958-1962
District of Kansas
Brown was nominated by President John F. Kennedy on on March 8, 1962 to a judgeship vacated by the retirement of Delmas Hill. Brown was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on April 2, 1962 on a Senate vote and received his commission on April 4, 1962. Brown served as the chief judge of the court from 1971 to 1977 before assuming senior status on September 1, 1979. He passed away on January 24, 2012 at the age of 104.  Brown was succeeded in this position by Patrick Kelly.
Awards and associations
- Wesley Brown was recognized by the Guinness world record organization in 2011 as the oldest serving judge at 104 years old. At that time he was the oldest serving U.S. Federal judge by 6 years. 
- News: Wesley Brown, oldest acting federal judge, passes away at 104, January 24, 2012
- Herald-Tribune.com, "At 103, a Judge Has One Caveat: No Lengthy Trials," September 17, 2010
- Judge Brown Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- ↑ United States Courts, "News Item: Judge Wesley Brown Turns 104", June 22, 2011
- ↑ The Wichita Eagle "Work key to long life for 102-year-old judge", March 1, 2010
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Judge Brown Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- ↑ World Records Academy, "Youngest judge: 17-Year-Old Judge sets world record" 11/1/2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of Kansas
|Magistrate judges||David Waxse • Gary Sebelius • Gerald Rushfelt • James O'Hara • Donald Bostwick • Karen Humphreys • Kenneth Gale •|
|Former Article III judges||
Wesley Brown • Mark W. Delahay • Archibald Williams • Cassius Gaius Foster • William Cather Hook • John Calvin Pollock • George Thomas McDermott • Richard Joseph Hopkins • Guy Helvering • Delmas Hill • Patrick Kelly • Arthur Mellott • Earl O'Connor • Dale Saffels • Arthur Stanley • Henry Templar • Frank Theis • George VanBebber •
|Former Chief judges|