John A. Ross
|John A. Ross|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||10/11/2011 - Current|
|Preceded by:||Charles Shaw|
|Hometown:||St. Louis, MO|
|Undergraduate:||Emory U., B.A., 1976|
|Law School:||Emory U. School of Law, J.D., 1979|
John A. Ross is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. He joined the court in 2011 after an appointment from Barack Obama. Prior to appointment, he was a Circuit Court judge for the 21st Circuit Court in Missouri.
Nomination to Federal Court
Judge Ross has been nominated to serve on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Congressman Lacy Clay (D, MO-1) has opposed his nomination to the court because of Judge Ross' decision to put the Northeast Fire District's finances under court control after the district allegedly made improper payments and violated Missouri's open meetings law. In a letter to President Obama, Congressman Clay accused Ross of "judicial activism and blatant unfairness" for this decision.
Judiciary committee hearing
Nomination returned to President
Ross's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th congress.
President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011.
State Impeachment filed against Ross
In May 2011, Missouri Representative Rochelle Gray sponsored HR 3102 to begin impeachment proceedings against Ross. He is accused of violating the Missouri Constitution. Specifically, he is charged with "judicial activism" and racial discrimination. 
Early life and education
- 112th Congress Confirmation Materials
- 21st Circuit
- President Obama Names Seven to United States District Court, White House Press Release, Dec. 1, 2010
- Fire district fracas leads to Clay's opposition of nominee for federal bench, by Jake Wagman, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Dec. 20, 2010
- Nomination Materials for the 11th Congress
- stltoday.com "St. Louis county judge confirmed to federal bench" 9/20/2011
- Gavel Grab, "Judicial Impeachment Sought in MO," May 20, 2011