Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Hawaii Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Linda Lingle|
|Preceded by:||Steven Levinson|
|Past post:||Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals|
|Born:||October 8, 1955|
|Law School:||University of Chicago Law School|
Mark E. Recktenwald is the Chief Justice of the five member Hawaii Supreme Court. He was appointed to his ten year term as Chief by Governor Linda Lingle on August 13, 2010 to succeed former Chief Justice Ronald Moon. The nomination was confirmed by the Hawaii Senate on September 2, 2010. He was first appointed to the court in the state's Commission-selection, political appointment method of judicial selection in 2009 by Governor Linda Lingle. His current term expires in 2020.
Recktenwald began his legal career as a clerk to U.S. District Judge Harold Fong in 1986. In 1988, he joined the law firm Goodsill, Anderson, Quinn & Stifel, where he worked until 1991. He then worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Hawaii from 1991 until 1997 and from 1999 until 2003. He went back into private practice as a partner of the firm Marr, Hipp, Jones & Pepper from 1997 until 1999. From 2003 to 2007, he served as Director of the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. He was then appointed to the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals in 2007 by Governor Linda Lingle, who subsequently also appointed him to the Supreme Court in 2009. 
- Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals
- Star Advertiser, "Recktenwald garners praise," August 26, 2010
- Star Advertiser, "Recktenwald picked to lead high court," August 14, 2010
- Hawaii Reporter, "Mark Recktenwald Confirmed to Hawaii Supreme Court", March 13, 2009
- Chief Justice Recktenwald's 2011 State of the Judiciary address
- New Release: Governor Lingle Nominates Glenn Kim as Circuit Court Judge and Mark Recktenwald as Chief Judge of Intermediate Court of Appeals
- ↑ Star Advertiser, "Recktenwald picked to lead high court," August 14, 2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Advertiser', "Senate confirms Recktenwald as new high court chief justice," September 3, 2010
- ↑ Pacific Business News, "Recktenwald confirmed to Hawaii Supreme Court", March 13, 2009
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Recktenwald Biography
|Former||Ronald Moon • Steven Levinson • Paula Nakayama • James E. Duffy, Jr. •|
This State Supreme Courts and Justices article does not have an image.