Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/19/2010 - Current|
|Preceded by:||Sonia Sotomayor|
|Law School:||New York U. '91|
Raymond Joseph Lohier, Jr. (b. 1965) is an Article III federal judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He was nominated to the court by Barack Obama.
Early life and education
- Law clerk to Robert Patterson on the Southern District of New York, 1992-1993
- Private practice as an associate attorney with Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilon in New York, 1993 - 1997
- Trial attorney, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 1997-1998; senior trial attorney, 1998-2000
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York, 2000-2010
- Chief of the Southern District of New York's Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force 
- Received commission to serve on the Second Circuit on December 20, 2010 
Lohier was nominated by President Obama on March 10, 2010 to fill a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit vacated by Sonia Sotomayor.  Obama said of the nomination, "Raymond Lohier will... bring an unwavering commitment to fairness and judicial integrity to the federal bench."  The American Bar Association's substantial majority rated Lohier as "Qualified", a minority rated him as "Not Qualified". 
Lohier had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on April 22, 2010. The Committee voted to forward his nomination to the full Senate on May 13, 2010. You can find Lohier's Committee Questionnaire available here and his Questions for the Record available here.
Honors and awards
- Recipient of the Vanderbilt Medal from New York University School of Law 
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Raymond Lohier, Jr. for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Judge Kate O'Malley for the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit", March 10, 2010
- Lohier Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate", March 10, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- Blog of Legal Times "2nd Circuit Is Back in Democrats' Hands", December 20, 2010
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|