Washington Court of Appeals
The Washington Court of Appeals is the intermediate appellate court for the state of Washington. The court is a non-discretionary appellate court. This means that it must accept, review, and issue a written decision for all appeals filed with it; unlike the Washington State Supreme Court, which can reject an appeal.
There are a total of 22 judges on the Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals is divided into three divisions: Division 1 (10 judges) is based in Seattle; Division 2 (7 judges) is based in Tacoma; and Division 3 (5 judges) is based in Spokane. Cases are heard by a panel of three judges from the division to which it is appealed. There is no en banc review available for a Division or the entire Court of Appeals. Judges from one Division may pro tem as a visiting judge on another Division.
Election of judges
Each Division is sub-divided into three geographic districts for election purposes; the districts are not divided evenly according to population, but the districts containing higher populations usually have more judges elected from that district. Each of the judges is elected by a district's voters in non-partisan elections to six-year terms. If a seat becomes vacant between elections, an interim judge from the corresponding district is appointed by the governor and he/she must run in the next regularly scheduled election to finish the remainder of the term. Elections are staggered so that one-third of the judges, in each of Divisions 2 and 3, have an election each even-numbered year. There is an election for at least one Division 1 judge every year.
To serve as an appellate judge, judges must have practiced law in Washington for at least five years and must have been a resident of the district they represent for at least one year.
The judges on each Division annually select from among themselves a Chief Judge to handle administrative details for the Division. All 22 judges annually select a Presiding Chief Judge to oversee business matters among the three divisions.
The judges in Division 1 are:
- Chief Judge Robert Leach, District 2
- Acting Chief Judge Michael Spearman, District 1
- Marlin Appelwick, District 1
- Mary Kay Becker, District 3
- Ronald Cox, District 1
- Stephen Dwyer, District 2
- Anne Ellington, District 1
- Kenneth Grosse, District 1
- Linda Lau, District 1
- Ann Schindler, District 1
Division I's three districts are:
- District 1 - King County, from which seven judges must be elected.
- District 2 - Snohomish County, from which two judges must be elected.
- District 3 - Island, San Juan, Skagit and Whatcom counties, from which one judge is elected.
The judges in Division 2 are:
- Chief Judge Joel Penoyar, District 3
- Presiding Chief Judge Christine Quinn-Brintnall, District 1
- Acting Chief Judge Lisa Worswick, District 1
- David Armstrong, District 2
- J. Robin Hunt, District 2
- Marywave Van Deren, District 1
- Jill M. Johanson, District 3 
Division II's three districts are:
- District 1 - Pierce County, from which three judges are elected.
- District 2 - Clallam, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Kitsap, Mason and Thurston Counties, from which two judges are elected.
- District 3 - Clark, Cowlitz, Lewis, Pacific, Skamania and Wahkiakum Counties, from which two judges are elected.
The judges in Division 3 are:
- Chief Judge Kevin Korsmo, District 1
- Acting Chief Judge Laurel Siddoway, District 1
- Stephen Brown, District 3
- Teresa Kulik, District 2
- Dennis Sweeney, District 2
Division III's three districts are:
- District 1- Ferry, Lincoln, Okanogan, Pend Oreille, Spokane and Stevens Counties, from which two judges are elected.
- District 2- Adams, Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Walla Walla and Whitman Counties, from which one judge is elected.
- District 3- Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat and Yakima Counties, from which two judges are elected.
- Appellate courts of Washington
- Directory, Washington Court of Appeals
- Appellate court opinions
- Older and archived appellate decisions
- 2008 general elections, Court of Appeals
- Methods of selection, Washington appellate judges
- Salaries of employees of the Washington Court of Appeals
Marlin Appelwick • Mary Kay Becker • Ronald Cox • Stephen Dwyer • Kenneth Grosse • Linda Lau • Robert Leach • Ann Schindler • J. Robin Hunt • Joel Penoyar • Christine Quinn-Brintnall • Marywave Van Deren • Stephen Brown • Kevin Korsmo • Teresa Kulik • Michael Spearman • Laurel Siddoway • Thomas Bjorgen • James Verellen •
|Former||Debra Stephens • Gerry Alexander • Susan Agid • Anne Ellington • David Armstrong • C.C. Bridgewater • Elaine Houghton • John Schultheis • Dennis Sweeney • Charlie Wiggins •|